Sunday, May 6, 2012

Transportation in China

Today we would like to talk about transportation in China.
 
There is one subway line which opened last year and goes north and south in the city. Three more subway lines are under construction throughout the city now. It's still not really convenient to go many places by subway. So people ride bicycles, scooters, electric rickshaws, buses, taxis, and personal cars when they go places.  Imagine, there are 14 million people living in the city so there are so many of those vehicles on the roads. Bicyles are more for daily transportation than recreation, as they are in America.  People ride bicycles to go grocery shopping. Many of the bicycles have electric motors like scooters so you don't have to pedal.  We use taxis a lot since they are convenient and cheap.  The first meter starts at 8 yuan (1.3 dollars). Taxis in Chengdu are green.
 
In America, almost every household has a car or two. But not in China. Having your own car is still a luxury.  Because driving is very difficult in China, many foreign companies make their employees use Chinese drivers.  We will have our own car and a Chinese driver.  In China, we are not allowed to drive with and international driver's license and it's also quite a different way to drive from the States. If you don't know how to drive in the Chinese way, it's very dangerous to do so.
In major cities in China, there are big concerns about air pollution. In our city, Chengdu, it's a big concern also. As an effort to reduce carbon dioxide, private cars are only able to drive 6 days a week on certain roads. The day the car is not allowed to drive is determined by the license plate.
 
In China, cars seem to have priority on the road--not like in America or other countries. We need to be very, very careful to cross the road even if we have a green sign and we are crossing a pedestrian cross walk.  The cars will not stop for pedestrians.  Instead, they will beep their horns and continue driving at us! We are the ones who have to avoid being hit by cars. The most scary thing of all are the scooters and bicyles because they sometimes drive in pedestian roads and we can't hear when they are approaching from the back because of their electric motors.  
 
   Here is a photo which shows a scooter, a bicycle and a car, all driving on a pedestrian path (sidewalk). 
 
 
Here are some pictures which show the many kinds of vehicles.  
It's almost an art to put so many things on a bicycle.


 
    This man has his own shop on his rickshaw!
 
 
 
    This is a little taxi. It can be seat two people inside.
 
 
 
 
    This is Jay's school bus! 
 
 
    It's a busy place!


3 comments:

  1. Questions and comments from:

    Adrienne - Who is your best friend?

    Pearl - Have you crossed the street yet?

    Jack - Is there any beaches there?

    Jude - Did you have any new ice creams that you haven't had here yet?

    Charlotte - My dad's friend got me bunny rabbit chopsticks.

    Aelyne - Do you like your new school?

    Josie - What is your favorite place?

    Michael - is there any playgrounds there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adrienne - Who is your best friend?

    I don't have best friend yet but I have friends to play tug with at recess.


    Pearl - Have you crossed the street yet?

    Yes, I have. But I always hold my mother or father's hand when I cross streets. My parents always carry my brother as we cross the street.


    Jack - Is there any beaches there?

    No beaches because the city is surrounding by mountains. But an indoor pool in our complex is open so I see people in swimsuit walking around. It's over 30C here so it must be nice to get cool down by dipping in the pool.


    Jude - Did you have any new ice creams that you haven't had here yet?

    no new ice cream I have tried. Photos shown in class.


    Charlotte - My dad's friend got me bunny rabbit chopsticks.

    This is my photo when I am using my chopsticks! I am getting better! Even my brother, Kosei, 3 years old, can use chopsticks now ! Photo shown in class.


    Aelyne - Do you like your new school?

    I do but I miss you guys. Here is the photo that was taken on the last day of my school. Do you remember? Aelyne, I have your gift, the Eiffel tower key holder with me.


    Josie - What is your favorite place?

    I like my apartment complex. After school, I ride my bike around or play with soccer ball. Sometimes I play with local Chinese kids whose names are Gary, Sunny, Dennis, and Bob. Chinese kids often have English names! One of staff in my school has her English name, " Juicy"!!!


    Michael - is there any playgrounds there?



    I don't see playgrounds in the city like Seattle but there are little playgrounds in my apartment compound. Here is the playground that I go to. photo shown in class.

    ReplyDelete