Thursday, April 26, 2012

The First Two Weeks...

Dear Charlotte,
 
Thank you for writing me. I really liked your letter and the photo where you are riding a mermaid horse.
 
It is warm here in Chengdu. It's about 30C. I am wearing a short sleeve shirt and no jacket! I just moved to our new apartment and I like it! My bother, Kosei, and I share a room which has bunk beds! In my apartment, I can watch Chinese programs, Japanese programs, and American programs. Today I watched "Madeline" in Chinese, but I didn't understand it at all!  Kosei and I pretend to be Chinese and speak to each other in creative Chinese!
 
Here are the answers to your questions!
 
1. Did you see any panda bears?
Not yet but we are going to see them next week. I will let you know soon and take pictures.
 
2. Did you see any ice?
No
 
3. What does your building or house look like?
This is our building. We live on the 11th floor. The apartment complex has a lot of apartment buildings, a couple of playgrounds, ponds, restaurants, coffee shops, indoor and outdoor swimming pools.
 
4. Are you having fun?
Yes, I am having fun! I am really looking forward to going to my new school next week!
 
5. What is the food like?
The city I live in is famous for spicy food.  It is a type of Chinese food called Sichuanese cuisine. But there are a lot of non-spicy foods that I can eat.  
This is 麻婆豆腐.  This is so spicy that your tong feels numb!
For this, you put meat between flat, steamed buns and eat it like sandwich. It's so delicious!
This is a soup with green vegetables, tofu and ginko nuts.
 
6. Did you eat with chopsticks?
Yes, but it's difficult because they are very long.  But I'm getting better every day.
 
7. Do you have a car or taxi or bus?
We don't have a car here yet. We use taxis to go anywhere.  In a few weeks we will have our own car.
 
8. Do you have ice cream there?
Yes, I eat ice cream often.
 
9. Did you bring all of your toys with you?
I took some small toys in my suitcase. All of the other toys will arrive by air and sea shipments soon.
 
10. Do you have new friends yet?
Yes, I do. I made new friends at my Japanese school, which meets on Sundays, and the sports activities for international students. Their names are Kaichi, Take, and David.  My regular school will start next week and I will make more new friends from many different countries.


6 comments:

  1. Dear Jay,
    I miss you. I hope you are enjoying your new school! Are you having fun?
    love, Adrienne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Adrienne, This is me, Jay. I am having fun going to my new school. I made new friends in my class. My class name is Croccodiles. We have classmates from Germany, Holland, France, Singapore, China, and America. My teacher's name is Ms. Karen. She is from Australia. Here is a photo of me in my uniform.

      *uniform photo will be sent via e-mail.

      Delete
  2. From the Class:

    Pearl - I went to Boom Noodle and my mom got those same buns and same things but it was green.

    Miles - I eat with chopsticks too.

    Aelyne - What is your favorite kind of ice cream?

    Maia - Is there any trains there?

    Sasha - I saw pandas in China too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pearl - I went to Boom Noodle and my mom got those same buns and same things but it was green.

      I like to try new food. In China, there is plenty of fruit, and they drink fresh squeezed fruit juice. They have fresh watermelon juice. Yummy!


      Miles - I eat with chopsticks too.

      Great!

      Aelyne - What is your favorite kind of ice cream?

      I like vanila and chocolate. My dad bought haagen-dazs the other day and it cost 6 dollars for a small cup! It was such a treat but I don't think I can get that kind often... You know, everything that comes from overseas is more expensive because it costs a lot to send things across the ocean. I usually eat Chinese-brand ice cream which tastes the same as American ice cream. Very tasty!


      Maia - Is there any trains there?

      There are trains in Chengdu but since the city is far inland from where the really big cities are, such as Shanghai, Beijing, and Hong Kong, we don't use trains to go to the other cities. We just take an airplane. China is very big. It is about the same size as the United States. I am sure we can take trains outside the city, but we will probably take our car so that it would be more comfortable.

      Sasha - I saw pandas in China too.

      I still haven't seen pandas! I heard we have to be at the panda reserve at 9 am in the morning when the pandas are eating breakfast. They then go to sleep in the afternoon. So, if we want to see them active, we have to get up early!

      Delete
  3. Questions for Jay from William:

    1. Are there different flavors of ice cream there? Like ones we've never heard of in America?

    2. Do you sing the Chicken Soup poems there?

    3. What ice cream do you usually have?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. Are there different flavors of ice cream there? Like ones we've never heard of in America?

      I have seen "red bean ice cream" and "Taro ice cream". I haven't tasted them yet, though.

      2. Do you sing the Chicken Soup poems there?

      No, we don't, but we sing songs in my Japanese school like the ones on the CD which I gave to everyone in class.

      3. What ice cream do you usually have?

      Vanila and chocolate!

      Delete