Monday, September 14, 2015

Highlights and reflections of the week for Ms. Kathleen

Day of Service (cleaning up I-5) 

lunch donated by families

Bachi the picketing dog

It was a hard week.  It was the first half week of the strike and it was a terrible bummer.  I was disappointed the negotiating teams could not come to an agreement before school and I was disappointed that I did not get to teach the first week of school.  I missed the kids, the families, and the energy of a school in action.  

It was a great week.  I was the recipient of some incredibly goodwill and generosity from families and supporters.  It was wonderful to talk to all the families who stopped by and/or who joined us on the picket line.  It was a treat to chat with fellow teachers as we walk back and forth, back and forth, along Latona.  I think we planned a social studies unit while clocking serious miles (someone brought a pedometer and recorded 10 miles)!  Bacchi the picket dog kissed me...wetly and vigorously.  Ann the 5 month infant joined us on our community service day and supervised trash pick up by I-5.  I saw people at their best this week.

I truly wished it did not come to this.  I belong in the classroom, along with all of the students.   But, civil disobedience is hard.  It is hard to do what is right, to be unselfish, and to stand up for others.  I don’t agree with all the issues on the table from the union nor do I benefit from every issue.  However, I DO believe in reducing caseload of our service staff so that people like Nurse Alison can be at McDonald more than 2 days a week serving a school of 470 kids, I DO believe in paying people like Ms. Nancy and Ms. Jane all the overtime they are due, I DO believe we should set up special teams that would make sure everyone in the school is treated fairly – adults and kids.  

To pressure the decision makers to address all these issues, I am choosing to strike.  Civil disobedience is hard, but it is the right thing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment