Monday, March 4, 2013

Karthik's Highlights of the Week


I had fun with Josiah and the Cat in the Hat Reading Group.  And I had fun when I was reading to Max outside in the hallways with Ms. Carolyn.  Max had fun with me.  In writing, I was writing with Ms. Kathleen and I remember at recess, Charlie and I played tag.  I learned in the Song Dynasty when rice was introduced, the rice fields were in water.  The Chinese grow fishes in the rice fields and the fishes eat the mosquitoes and the people eat the fishes.  The fishes also poop in the water and the poop fertilized the rice.  The rice sucks up the water and the water level becomes lower as the fishes get eaten.  When the water is all used up, it is time to eat the rice (harvest time). 

In the Song Dynasty, they also introduced footbinding for women.  They break the edge of their feet, roll them under so they have small feet.  They call these feet lotuses because the small dainty feet look nice.  We also did poems.

4 comments:

  1. Karthik, I enjoyed working with you and discovering what a good reader you are.

    How do you think the women felt about having their feet broken and bound?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aspen - I bet it didn't feel very good.

      Halle - If I was Chinese woman, I would freak if I got my foot broken.

      Delete
  2. Oops, sorry, that was me, Carolyn, Ian's mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zoe - How much fun did you have playing with Charlie?

    Zara - I love doing poetry. I also really like drawing dogs in art.

    Matthew - Did you like the four treasures of China?

    Charlie - Me and Karthik had lots of fun playing tag.

    Ian - We drew Ms. Baker's dog and his name is Buster. She sometimes like to call him Buster Baby.

    Isabella - We made a portrait of a dog like Rembrandt's son.

    Halle - I remembered the treasures of China - ink stick, ink stone, ink brush, and mulberry paper.

    ReplyDelete